Discover everything you can do with a Synology NAS server . If you already have some computer skills, it will be easy for you to control the Synology hardware and operating system functions.
You should know this if you plan to buy a NAS server to make your backups regardless of the platform ( PC, Mac, Linux, web, mobile device ).
It is an excellent option to create your own server in the cloud, from where you can manage users, applications to watch movies, remote download manager, view videos and images and other apps that connect to your NAS via the internet no matter where you are.
Let’s see what you can do:
Note 1: In case of hard disk failure, it will take the cloned information in the other disk. Note 2: In case of running out of space, just add another disk to one of the NAS server bays.
Create shared folders with a custom name, description, and location on your hard drive. Then you can choose which users will have access and which will not, as well as the types of permission: Read, write and custom.
It has some security controls, like hiding from «My Network Places», hiding subfolders and files from users without permission, enabling the recycle bin to recover deleted files, and encrypting folders with a password.
3. Manage files anytime, anywhere
The File Station application gives you access to all the folders that have been created on our NAS server. From here you can create any folder, host any file with just drag and drop from the PC to the browser.
Within the options it is possible to create remote connections, manage the shared links that we have created and even download them. It is like any file explorer.
Now if you have a Mac or Windows you can make the network connection so that it integrates with the PC explorer and manage it like any other partition to open, move, copy files.
4. Create User with Permissions and Privileges
Manage access to data on your NAS with the creation of users, to whom you can give permissions and privileges. For example:
- Do not allow me to change the password.
- Create groups: Administrators, Visitors …
- Grant permissions: Read and Write, no Access, and custom rules.
- Permissions within the applications you have installed: Access and blocking.
5. Install Applications
The NAS Sygnology Application Center is organized by categories: Recommended, Backups, Commerce, Security, Utilities, Productivity, and Developer Tools. Among the recommended applications that the manufacturer offers us are:
- Download Station: Download files from the internet.
- Audio Station: Access the NAS library.
- Photo Station: Create album, share and access photos and videos.
- Video Station: Organize your collection of TV series, movies and home videos.
- Cloud Station: Synchronize data between various platforms as a personal cloud.
- Note Station: Write, view, share and manage notes.
- Surveillacne: Web apps to manage IP surveillance cameras.
- Multimedia Server
6. Make Backup Copies
From the application center there is a very complete backup application called Hyper Backup, which allows us to make all kinds of copies:
- Internal backups.
- Copies of USB sticks to the NAS.
- Cloud backups (Amazon, Google drive, Dropbox …)
- File versioning within our NAS server.
- Backups to another Synology.
- Complete backup of your Windows PC.
- Mac backups with Time Machine.
- Backups with cloud station backup.
7. Create a private cloud
The sygnology NAS system allows you to create a totally private cloud storage system, thanks to the tools provided by the sygnology Diskstension Manager operating system to:
- Access files from anywhere in the world and from any device.
- More than 3 applications to manage the private cloud.
- Configure the version history of files in the cloud.
- Synchronize files in cross-platform real time.
- Synchronize the files on the NAS with the different storage services in the cloud (Dropbox, google drive …)
8. Other Synology Utilities and Services
- Create Web Page: Allows you to install a web server on your NAS so that you can host your business or personal web pages.
- Database server : allows you to create a database system to create a dynamic web page, blog style, wordpress or virtual store.
- Manage Databases : Create and manage databases manually with PHP Myadmin.
- FTP server : Configure your own FTP server with which you can share files with different services locally or by remote connection.
- Radius Server : Obtain an access service with authentication and authorization as totally professional Wi-Fi networks.
- VPN server : Create a secure access point to safely enter our network through an encrypted connection that gives us total privacy.
As you can see, there are many benefits that a NAS sygnology offers us to store our files on hard drives that are connected to a network.