At first Dropbox seems like a simple Storage service to save files and folders in the cloud, but the truth is that as you delve into its functions you realize that it is full of surprises.
Therefore, in this article we are going to look at some hidden tips and tricks to control Dropbox and enhance its capabilities when it comes to saving and syncing files in the cloud .
The most interesting thing is that people who do not have a Dropbox account can send you files.
- Sign in to Dropbox.
- Click on «File requests» in the side menu.
- Click on «Request Files»
- Write a short description and in «Change folder» select the place where the files will be saved.
- Now copy the given link and share with whom you want to receive the files.
14. Previous visit of any file
- 0.1 14. Previous visit of any file
- 0.2 13. Re-access the deleted shared folder
- 0.3 12. Check the recent activities of your files
- 0.4 11. Team up with files
- 0.5 10. Access to files without Internet
- 0.6 9. Increase sync speed
- 0.7 8. Delete files without leaving a trace
- 0.8 7. Access previous versions of files
- 0.9 6. Smart bookmarks with Dropbox
- 0.10 5. Get direct download links
- 0.11 4. Share screenshots
- 0.12 3. Selective file and folder synchronization
- 0.13 2. Check Dropbox file activities
- 0.14 1. Automatic syncing of your Photos
- 1 Bonus: Dropbox Paper
If you have a file that your computer cannot open, you just have to upload it to your Dropbox. Its preview function allows you to view files of type: PDF, PSD, AI, PNG, JPG, SVG, BMP, among others.
You can also read and edit documents, spreadsheets, and presentations with the Office Online integration.
- Open any file in Dropbox.
- In the preview window, click the arrow next to the «Open» button.
- Choose from «Microsoft Word / Excel / PowerPoint Online» to edit the file.
It is possible to access a shared folder that you deleted from your Dropbox.
- Click «Share» on the left sidebar.
- Under the section «Folders that you can add to your Dropbox»
- select the folder you want to rejoin and click «Add.»
12. Check the recent activities of your files
Dropbox displays an updated list of files that you have recently opened or modified. This list can be found in the “Recents” session on the left sidebar.
You can also share, download, comment, delete or even view previous versions of your files directly from this option.
11. Team up with files
If you work in a team or collaborate with others on a project, Team Dropbox is for you. This feature allows you to work on a team where files can be shared with the entire team or selected groups, and everyone has different privileges. And the best part is that it is free !
- In Dropbox, click «Personal» in the bottom sidebar. and click «Add Create Free Team».
- Enter the team name, choose «Create a new team Dropbox» and enter your email address and password for this team, then click «Continue».
- Invite members to join your team.
10. Access to files without Internet
While on the go, you may have access to some specific files without an internet connection from your mobile device.
- In the Dropbox mobile app, find the files you need to view them offline.
- Tap the icon on the right and enable the «Available offline» option and Dropbox will download the files to your device so you can view them without the Internet.
- You can view the files offline by clicking on the «Offline» session.
9. Increase sync speed
To avoid interfering with your internet use, Dropbox uses 75% of your connection’s maximum upload speed. This means slow upload / sync speed for you, but here’s a trick to get around it.
- Right-click on the Dropbox icon in the system tray.
- Click on the setting icon and select «Preferences» from the menu.
- Click on the «Bandwidth» tab.
- Select «Do not limit» under «Upload rate» to speed up the upload / sync process.
8. Delete files without leaving a trace
If you incorrectly placed a confidential file in your Dropbox folder but urgently need to delete the file, you can do so by clearing the folder from the Dropbox cache. It’s a hidden folder called «.dropbox.cache» inside the «Dropbox» folder.
To permanently erase confidential files , you can manually clear the cache using the following steps:
- Open the file manager and enter the following in the location bar: “ % HOMEPATH% Dropbox.dropbox.cache ” (without quotes).
- This will take you directly to the Dropbox cache folder from where you can delete any files or folders you want.
7. Access previous versions of files
Dropbox stores older versions of your files for 30 days. That means that you can easily restore a file in case you have made some wrong changes.
To get the older version of a file, follow these steps:
- Click on the three dots next to the file whose previous version you want to view and select «Version History».
- Select one of the versions you want to view and click «Restore» to restore that version.
6. Smart bookmarks with Dropbox
Now a function has been added to store and sync bookmarks simply by dropping them in Dropbox.
Of course, you can delete URLs anywhere in Dropbox, but it’s better to create a bookmark folder to store all URLs in one place.
- Create a new folder called «Bookmarks» in Dropbox (or whatever name you prefer to use).
- Drag the small icon shown to the left of the location bar in your browser to the Dropbox tab or window and drop the link into the «Bookmarks» folder.
Every time you click a Dropbox link, your browser will display a new page with the file and an option to download the file. However, there is a trick that forces the browser to start downloading the file.
Just change the Dropbox link with the query parameter «dl = 0» at the end to «dl = 1» and it will become a direct download link.
If you are tired of taking screenshots, dragging them to Dropbox, and then sharing their link with other people, then here is a faster way to share screenshots with Dropbox.
- Right click on the «Dropbox» icon in the system tray.
- Click on the «gear» icon and choose «Preferences»
- Switch to the Import tab, check «Share screenshots via Dropbox» and press «OK».
- Now take screenshots and Dropbox will automatically save them to «Dropbox / screenshots» and automatically copy your link to your clipboard, which you can use to share your screenshot faster than ever.
3. Selective file and folder synchronization
Selective Sync is a feature that allows you to select and sync only the folders that you want to sync on your computer. It is especially useful if you want to save storage space on your system or save data.
- Right click on the «Dropbox» icon in the system tray.
- Click on the ‘gear’ icon and select ‘Preferences’.
- Switch to the «Account» tab, click on «Sync. Selective »and press« OK ».
- Uncheck any folders you don’t need to sync on your PC’s hard drive, then click the «Refresh» and «OK» button.
2. Check Dropbox file activities
The event log helps you track events such as when you create, share, delete, and restore files and folders. The log allows you to filter the events according to category and date.
- In Dropbox, click «Events» in the left sidebar or type in your browser www.dropbox.com/events and hit enter.
- You will see a schedule of events or activities in your account.
1. Automatic syncing of your Photos
Dropbox allows you to upload photos and videos and view them in an online gallery without using any third-party tools.
- Upload photos to Dropbox or use the automatic upload function in the mobile app.
- Open dropbox.com and choose «Photos» in the sidebar.
- Here you will see all your photos organized as a gallery.
Recommended : Best Apps to Save Photos to the Cloud
Bonus: Dropbox Paper
It is an application designed for teams that allows you to create documents in collaboration with many functions in a simple way.
It is a space to create, share and organize ideas together. All members can collaborate in a minimalist and flexible environment.
- Real-time feedback.
- Add any multimedia content from the internet.
- Notifications of changes and events.
- Elegant presentations.
- Define tasks, deadlines and assignments.
- Synchronization with your calendar.
- Supervision and control.