Are you looking for a program that allows you to create, edit, convert or sign PDF documents?
As we know Adobe Reader has been one of the default PDF readers on our PCs. However, it is cumbersome, slow to load and certainly not the only option on the market if you are looking for a free PDF reader.
There are tons of them available that come with more features and are lighter compared to Adobe, so we decided to bring you our list of the 10 best PDF Document editors that you can use on your Windows or Mac computer :
PDFelement 6 is a powerful PDF tool for editing, converting, reviewing, protecting, signing, and comparing PDF files at a fraction of the price of Adobe Acrobat.
The highlight is its editing capabilities and the user can edit the entire document with the same ease as a Word document. Furthermore, its features include automatic shape recognition, data extraction and batch processing. Here are some of its best features:
- Convert PDF to Word, Excel, PPT with one click
- Create forms to fill them or template with the option to export the data to excel.
- Convert PDF files, extract data, numbering, watermark, print files, protect files, among others.
- The OCR function converts paper documents and photos into searchable digital documents.
- Excellent extraction and recognition of batch data.
- It is available for Windows, Mac, iOS, and Android. (Also, the mobile version is totally free)
Download PDFelement (Windows & Mac)
2. Sumatra PDF
Sumatra is a free PDF reader that has a simple and intuitive user interface, and is light on your PC’s resources.
- While Adobe Reader is 105MB, Sumatra PDF is just over 4MB.
- Starts almost instantly, and even complex documents in the blink of an eye.
- It comes with a large number of keyboard shortcuts to help users navigate pages quickly and efficiently.
- It has a portable version to carry on a USB.
- It is also a complete e-book reader with the ability to read various other file formats, such as ePub, Mobi, XPS, CHM, DjVu, CBZ, CBR etc.
Download: Windows ( Free )
Recommended: Top5 Best PDF Readers and Editors for ANDROID
3. Foxit Reader
Foxit Reader is another higher-level alternative to Adobe Reader, and it comes with many of the features that Sumatra PDF lacks.
- You can annotate PDF documents.
- Fill in PDF forms.
- Safe reading mode that protects users from malicious links within PDF documents.
- It has an MS Office ribbon-based interface, with a variety of free downloadable add-ons that allow users to convert PDF files to other file formats.
Download: Windows ( Free )
4. PDF X-Change Editor
It is another excellent option as a replacement for Adobe Reader. It comes with a paid and free version.
- With the free version, you can not only insert or extract pages, but it also comes with a little feature called OCR that allows you to scan any printed document and save the text in PDF format.
- Support for AES 256-bit encryption, page markup, and text extraction, while allowing you to apply custom stamps to your files before saving.
Download: Free , $ 43.50
5. STDU Viewer
It is a document and image viewer that comes as a small 2.5MB download and supports a wide variety of file formats, ranging from PDF to TIFF and JPEG to GIF.
- It can also open a large number of file types, such as DjVu, XPS, JBIG2, FB2, TXT, e-books (ePub and Mobi), comic files (CBR and CBZ), TCR, PalmDoc (PDB), AZW, and DCX.
- As for images, STDU Viewer can open BMP, PCX, PNG, WMF, EMF and PSD.
- It has a tabbed interface that includes thumbnail view, page rotation, search by text layer, etc.
- Export a page (or part of a page) as an image and create your own bookmarks.
6. Nitro PDF Viewer
Nitro PDF Reader is a full-featured PDF viewer that, unlike PDF X-Change, allows users to create PDF files from scratch.
- It comes with an interface that resembles MS Office.
- It allows you to annotate, highlight, and add sticky notes to documents you open.
- Split screen view that allows users to compare two different PDF files side by side.
- Drag and drop support.
- Extract images from existing PDF files, as well as digitally sign documents with a free electronic signature.
Download: Free , $ 159.99
7. SlimPDF Reader
As is evident from its name, SlimPDF Reader is a small and lightweight PDF reader available for desktop Windows.
- The program weighs only 1.4 MB.
- It has a minimalist interface and works exactly as advertised for the most part.
Evince is a free and open source (FOSS) document viewer that is available on Windows, Linux, and Unix operating systems.
- It is included as the default PDF viewer in Fedora, Debian, and Ubuntu.
- It supports a multitude of file formats, including PDF, PostScrip, DjVu, TIFF, XPS, and DVI.
- It can display two pages at a time, and it supports full screen and slide shows.
- Copy, convert and print PDF files protected by DRM restrictions.
Download: Free (Windows, Linux, Unix)
PhantomPDF is a complete software created by the developers of Foxit Reader.
- Like its free counterpart, PhantomPDF also comes with a tape-based interface that looks like MS Office, and offers PDF editing and encryption functions.
- It can convert multiple types of files to PDF and PDF to a whole series of different files, including MS Word documents.
- It comes with OCR which allows users to edit and search scanned documents.
- It allows users to add audio and video files to PDF files, as well as protect them with passwords and permissions.
Download: $ 109.00
PDFDocs is the second and last paid PDF reader on our list.
- It allows users to create, compose, annotate and edit PDF files.
- Collect and protect PDF files.
- Print, email, and save documents from the Organizer workspace.
- it can be configured for specific projects and shared on a network drive between colleagues and co-workers.
- Create electronic PDF folders that automate the process of converting large numbers of documents into a single PDF file.
Download: $ 60.00
Bonus. Web browsers: Firefox, Chrome and Edge
In recent years, all the major web browsers have started to include a native PDF viewer.
Unless you really need many of the features of standalone programs, using your web browser as your PDF viewer will save your disk space and prevent your PC from cluttering up with software. You may not get all the features that the software offers, but all of these browsers will be able to process PDF documents quickly and correctly.
Download: Firefox (Windows, Mac, Linux)
Download: Chrome (Windows, Mac, Linux)